A lot of people who have websites don’t really think about how they will make money. They just put up a site, slap a few AdSense ads on the site, and wait for the money to roll in.
Well, I’m sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. At least it doesn’t work very well that way. Oh, you may make a few dollars a month, maybe even more than that. But, if you really plan and figure out your best money making methods, you can almost certainly make more money from your website.
The truth is, AdSense should not be your end-all way of making money online. For me, I make pretty nice money online, and AdSense is only a very minor part of my earnings. Oh, like others, there was a time when I thought that AdSense would be the golden paradise that would have me rolling in dough, but it didn’t take me long to find out that I was wrong.
So, in my opinion, one of the most important things that you need to do when you are ready to design a new website is to sit down and think things through and decide how you will make money on the site. In the new economy today, you may find out that no single money-making enterprise is going to earn enough to sufficiently keep you solvent. Not to worry, though, because nobody said that you can only use a single way to earn money! One thing that I have believed strongly in for a long time is to use multiple streams of income in order to make my income. And, it works. I don’t rely on one single source of money, I have many sources. Sometimes one method makes nothing for months, but then I might make $5,000 on it in a single month. That’s how it works these days.
So, when you come up with a website that you want to do, figure out all of the ways that you might be able to make money in that niche. Here are some of the ways I make money through my niche:
- Gift Services. I sell gifts that can be ordered online and delivered to recipients in my area.
- Investigative Services. I offer investigative services to check into matters for my readers.
- Consulting. I consult my readers on matters that they wish to ask me about.
- Equipment rental. I have equipment and vehicles that I rent to people when they visit my area.
- Google AdSense. Ads on my websites.
- Text Link Ads. I sell text advertising on my sites.
- Web Design. I do web design mostly for people who read my websites.
- Land Sales. My wife sells land mostly to my readers and earns commissions on this.
Yes, I have a lot of ways to earn money from my sites. So, when I am going to redesign one of my sites, I sit down and figure out how I will promote each of these services on the new site. Where will the ads go? Where is the most effective place to put the ad? These are things you need to consider when designing the site. Now, if you are putting up a site just for fun, not a profit-driven thing, well this is not important. However, if your purpose from the site is to produce an income, these considerations are probably the most important thing you can do.